Linguistic analysis of single or multiple text files, usage for data-driven analysis of text and keywords.
AntConc is an advanced text analysis application which provides details about the text inside of one or multiple text files, should you opt for batch processing.
With AntConc, we're presented with a number of interesting text analysis tools which calculates and displays the results of its analysis in a few different ways including concordance, file viewer and a cluster tool.
Another tool that comes built-in with AntConc is the "Clusters/N-Grams" which can search the corpus for N length clusters, essentially detecting different but similar word patterns.
Once all of the data has been collected, AntConc can export its results to a few different file formats, most notably text, HTML or Excel files.
In closing, AntConc has its specific niche but it may also be useful for web developers and search engine optimizers for its keyword analysis functionality.
Features of AntConc
- Character Encoding: Support for various character encodings.
- Cluster Analysis: Automatically group words together.
- Collocation: View collocations (words commonly used together).
- Compare: Compare two or more texts.
- Concordance: View keyword in context.
- KWIC: View keywords in context.
- N-Gram: View patterns of words used together.
- Part-of-Speech Tagging: Automatically tag words with parts of speech.
- Phonetic Analysis: Search using phonetic patterns.
- Regular Expressions: Use powerful search patterns.
- Search: Search for words or phrases within the text.
- Text Classification: Automatically classify text into categories.
- Text Conversion: Convert text to other formats.
- Word Frequency: View frequency of words in the text.
- Word List: Generate and view a list of words in the text.
Compatibility and License
AntConc is provided under a freeware license on Windows from language and translation software with no restrictions on usage. Download and installation of this PC software is free and 4.2.4 is the latest version last time we checked.
Laurence Anthony accepts donations for the continued development of this free software.
What version of Windows can AntConc run on?
AntConc can be used on a computer running Windows 11 or Windows 10. It comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit downloads.